• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Allowable Area

swampcypress

I am doing the old allowable area calculation for a new building. The tabular area has me confused (since changes to the code) I know the basics but the most basic thing is bothering me. Is the tabular or basic allowable number (in this case Type III B) for a single floor or used for the entire building ? I wish I could find in the code that it is specifically referring to a floor level - it probably is and I am not finding it. My first floor is 22,000 SF and my 2nd is approx. the same. No basement, and I know its going to check out - I just want to know if the table # is for a floor or the whole building

I just love the way the IBC changed one simple table into 3 complicated tables.

The top number (NS) in 2015 IBC Table 506.2 is what used to be the tabular area (area per floor). This number is used for non-sprinklered buildings and to calculate frontage (perimeter) increase (506.3).

S1, S13R, & SM are areas per floor for sprinklered buildings. They already include the sprinkler increase (300% for single story, 200% for multi-story), which used to be calculated separately. You have to add the frontage increase (based on NS) to get the allowable area Aa (506.2.1 - 4).

Buildings over 3 stories get a little more complicated. You have to multiply the allowable area by 3 for most buildings or 4 if it has a NFPA 13R sprinkler system to get the allowable area of the entire building. No individual story can exceed the allowable area.

I'm puzzled why a 13R sprinkler, which is less comprehensive than an NFPA 13 system, gets a greater increase.

I think the 2018 & 2021 codes are basically the same, except for table or paragraph numbers.

I just love the way the IBC changed one simple table into 3 complicated tables.

The top number (NS) in 2015 IBC Table 506.2 is what used to be the tabular area (area per floor). This number is used for non-sprinklered buildings and to calculate frontage (perimeter) increase (506.3).

S1, S13R, & SM are areas per floor for sprinklered buildings. They already include the sprinkler increase (300% for single story, 200% for multi-story), which used to be calculated separately. You have to add the frontage increase (based on NS) to get the allowable area Aa (506.2.1 - 4).

Buildings over 3 stories get a little more complicated. You have to multiply the allowable area by 3 for most buildings or 4 if it has a NFPA 13R sprinkler system to get the allowable area of the entire building. No individual story can exceed the allowable area.

I'm puzzled why a 13R sprinkler, which is less comprehensive than an NFPA 13 system, gets a greater increase.

I think the 2018 & 2021 codes are basically the same, except for table or paragraph numbers.
A building with the NFPA 13R does get to multiply the floor allowable area by up to four floors, but the floor allowable area table value with 13R is only one-third as much as with NFPA 13.