• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Allowable Building Height - Parapets?

PaulR

In the 2015 IBC on chart 504.3, does a parapet count as part of the allowable building Height? When I look at the definitions for building height it talks about "the highest roof surface", I would not consider the top of a parapet as part of "the roof surface" but I could see how it might be interpreted that way.
I have a feeling this question has probably already been posted so I apologize for any redundancy. Feel free to direct me to any prior threads that address this question.

thanks!

Actually, it’s to the average height of the highest roof surface. So if the roof is sloping, the height is measured at the medium point between the lowest point and the highest point. The parapet is not part of the roof surface.

Reactions: JBI