• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Allowable step height

jmechen

We own an older building which was constructed in 2005 and would fall up the 2003 IBC. Currently there is a 8" step between common sidewalk and the parking stalls. Would this be permissible per 2003 IBC code? We do have multiple ADA ramps from sidewalk to parking areas.

Do you mean that the sidewalk that parallels the parking area has an 8" high continuous curb to separate it from the parking stalls? OR do you mean that someone intentionally provided a specific stair / step as a pathway?

Not a step then, a curb, and a trip hazard
Since you brought up trip hazard, I'm curious what your definition of a trip hazard is? Personally I never call out trip hazards in regards to accessibility since it is not a term used in any standard (that I know of). But I also acknowledge that a low change of level can create a trip hazard. Also people falling is one of the most litigious items for a property owner. My simplified personal definition of a trip hazard would be a change of level between 1/2" (with a 1:2 bevel) to 4" tall. I would never consider a curb to be a trip hazard.

A curb adjacent to a roadway is a dropoff, a planter curb if higher then the adjacent surface is cane detectable.

Since you brought up trip hazard, I'm curious what your definition of a trip hazard is? Personally I never call out trip hazards in regards to accessibility since it is not a term used in any standard (that I know of). But I also acknowledge that a low change of level can create a trip hazard. Also people falling is one of the most litigious items for a property owner. My simplified personal definition of a trip hazard would be a change of level between 1/2" (with a 1:2 bevel) to 4" tall. I would never consider a curb to be a trip hazard.
A single step is always a hazard, especially in descent. Hard to see. It's also one of the worst for injuries, because you **** your weight to your leading foot expecting it to be on a solid surface, so your body pitches forward. Often referred to as an airstep.

The reference that you provided would be correct IF it is a step. If a curb there is no requirement for height. Maybe could argue cane detection but then all sidewalks would have them on both sides. Sounds to me it may be more of a risk assessment question. Without pictures it is hard to decide.

Though not specifically mentioned, it is :best practice' to identify potential trip hazards.
Often parking spaces occur adjacant to walls or hedges, how then do you open your door?

Let me get this straight: the situation you described is an 8" curb next to parking, and you are wondering it this is legal.
‘There are streets all over America with 8"+ curbs.
2BF3D6D0-5F95-43AC-9001-20104CEBA00E.jpeg
If the curb is not part of a required circulation path that is governed by the code, then the code is not applicable to the situation. See my 2nd question in post #2.

I don't understand if you own the common sidewalk that is adjacent to the continuous curb in the parking area or if you own both?
If you own both and they are one your property and your property is open to the public, then you will need to have at least some curb ramps to meet ADA compliance and those curb ramps should go to ADA parking stalls as applicable. Am I understanding this correctly?
Since your building was built after 1991 if it is a business it should be in ADA compliance. If it is residential with four or more units it is covered by FHAG.