• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aluminum service conductors and anti ox paste

jtom

Sawhorse
I have been an electrician since 1979 and we were always taught to brush aluminum conductors and apply anti ox paste.It used to be a manufacturer's installation requirement.I have seen these instructions in the past.Is this still required per manufacturer?I can't seem to find manufacturer installation instructions concerning this.Thanks.

Not aware that its required by code other than the manufacture recommends or requires it. Wouldn't it be listed in the box side panel or install instruction. Most electricians in this area use it on the main SE lug connections.

A sparky was working in the house main panel box, switching from aluminum wiring and pig tailing to copper prior to entering the breaker terminal. Told him that IDEAL makes a purple twist connector for that, he looked at me and said "Your the only one that enforces that one!"

It's lonely out here

I have been an electrician since 1979 and we were always taught to brush aluminum conductors and apply anti ox paste.It used to be a manufacturer's installation requirement.I have seen these instructions in the past.Is this still required per manufacturer?I can't seem to find manufacturer installation instructions concerning this.Thanks.
Advances in aluminum alloy technologies may have changed some of the requirements for treatment before installation. Modern aluminum conductors often use improved alloys that are less prone to issues like creep and oxidation, reducing or eliminating the need for anti-ox paste.

Not aware that its required by code other than the manufacture recommends or requires it. Wouldn't it be listed in the box side panel or install instruction. Most electricians in this area use it on the main SE lug connections.

A sparky was working in the house main panel box, switching from aluminum wiring and pig tailing to copper prior to entering the breaker terminal. Told him that IDEAL makes a purple twist connector for that, he looked at me and said "Your the only one that enforces that one!"

It's lonely out here
I would never suggest those purple fire starters...Alumiconns or whatever the terminal connector ones are, are nice...