• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aluminum Storefront

BBrownMRA

Hello all, first time poster, and I am fairly certain that this website is the best thing I have ever come across...

My question is in regards to Aluminum Storefront and rating requirements.

I have a client asking for some sort of reference on the rating requirements for exterior aluminum storefront.

I have been looking, but am having trouble finding anything that obviously and clearly discusses the requirements on whether a section of storefront glazing needs to have any sort of rating.

I know that it should just be a reference to standard exterior wall rating requirements, and I must just be missing it.

The project is in DC and is under IBC 1009.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention that this is in regards to a new opening in an existing building.

"I have a client asking for some sort of reference on the rating requirements for exterior aluminum storefront."

Rating of... what? Fire? Impact resistant glass?

What sort of rating has been scheduled by the design professional involved?

Welcome

Are you asking if you are trying to put a rated assembly between to spaces and what happens when the rated assembly hits the front where the aluminum is??

Welcome, and all the above questions need answered........

Glad you are here, yes, excellent forum.........

Several items in the code could cause a rating requirement - impact, fire, wind, energy, seismic, etc.

Impact - Tempered glass (Chapter 24)

Fire- Fire resistant rating (Chapter 6 or Chapter 7)

Wind, Seismic ( Chapter 16 which refers you to ASCE 7 Phamplet)

Energy - State Staute or International Energy Code

Which area are you concerned about, and we might be able to give you a better answer

Just a thought: your client may have had issues with water infiltration. Storefronts have air and water infiltration tests they should pass, ASTM E283 and ASTM E331 i believe. There's also a CRF (condensation resistance factor) that you might be able to find. If your surpassing IECC requirements, i.e. ASHRAE 189, then you need the U factor for the assembly. Now your dealing with glass, a new can of worms but worth drilling down.