• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ambulatory restroom stall(s)

khsmith55

Bronze Member
I’m having a case of "brain freeze" here. My feeble memory somehow recalls an ambulatory stall is required when 6 waterclosets/urnials are required. I can’t remember if the 6 is mens and womens or mens or womens, any clairification would help. Also, I can’t remember where the requirements for an ambulatory stall come from, ADA, IBC or ANSI A117, code/standard and section number would be appreciated also.

Bills, thanks for your reply. The section you referenced is for family or assisted use restrooms, I'm looking for the requirements for ambulatory stalls within restrooms.
Ken

Almost there!

1109.2.2 Water closet compartment. Where water closet compartments are provided in a toilet room or bathing room, at least one wheelchair-accessible compartment shall be provided. Where the combined total water closet compartments and urinals provided in a toilet room or bathing room is six or more, at least one ambulatory accessible water closet compartment shall be provided in addition to the wheelchair-accessible compartment.

Don't have the section right now but ...Ambulatory accessible compartments are required when there are 6 (six) or more water closets and urinals (both combined) in a toilet room.

"IN A" not combined

Almost there!

1109.2.2 Water closet compartment. Where water closet compartments are provided in a toilet room or bathing room, at least one wheelchair-accessible compartment shall be provided. Where the combined total water closet compartments and urinals provided in a toilet room or bathing room is six or more, at least one ambulatory accessible water closet compartment shall be provided in addition to the wheelchair-accessible compartment.
You beat me Francis

"In larger toilet rooms (i.e., those with a total of six or more water closet compartments and urinals), one ambulatory-accessible compartment is required in addition to the wheelchair-accessible compartment. In very large facilities with more than 20 toilet compartments in a single toilet room, an additional accessible and ambulatory water closet may be required to meet the 5-percent requirements.
This section is not intended to increase the required number of fixtures beyond that required by the IPC. For example, if a toilet room contains 10 water closets, eight water closet compartments may be of conventional design, one water closet compartment must be wheelchair accessible and one must be ambulatory accessible."

Reviving this old thread.
Using IBC 2018 1109.2.2 (which hasn't changed from the one discussed above)
I have two toilet rooms (2 different buildings)
1) Has 6 stalls (actually, 4 stalls and 2 urinals). The first one is HC. Because the total is six, do one of those 6 need to be Ambulatory? (It is not right now) I assume yes, just want to double check my reasoning.

2) This one has 8 stalls. One is HC, six are regular and 1 is Ambulatory. I'm thinking this is correct...
Just want to make sure I'm interpreting this section correctly.
Thanks!

Reviving this old thread.
Using IBC 2018 1109.2.2 (which hasn't changed from the one discussed above)
I have two toilet rooms (2 different buildings)
1) Has 6 stalls (actually, 4 stalls and 2 urinals). The first one is HC. Because the total is six, do one of those 6 need to be Ambulatory? (It is not right now) I assume yes, just want to double check my reasoning.

2) This one has 8 stalls. One is HC, six are regular and 1 is Ambulatory. I'm thinking this is correct...
Just want to make sure I'm interpreting this section correctly.
Thanks!

If you have 6 or more toilet compartments or a combination of 6 toilet compartments and urinals, one must be ambulatory. Six or more whether a combination or by themselves.​

213.3.1Toilet Compartments.​

Where toilet compartments are provided, at least one toilet compartment shall comply with 604.8.1. In addition to the compartment required to comply with 604.8.1, at least one compartment shall comply with 604.8.2 where six or more toilet compartments are provided, or where the combination of urinals and water closets totals six or more fixtures.

Advisory 213.3.1 Toilet Compartments. A toilet compartment is a partitioned space that is located within a toilet room, and that normally contains no more than one water closet. A toilet compartment may also contain a lavatory. A lavatory is a sink provided for hand washing. Full-height partitions and door assemblies can comprise toilet compartments where the minimum required spaces are provided within the compartment.

If you have 6 or more toilet compartments or a combination of 6 toilet compartments and urinals, one must be ambulatory. Six or more whether a combination or by themselves.​

213.3.1Toilet Compartments.​

Where toilet compartments are provided, at least one toilet compartment shall comply with 604.8.1. In addition to the compartment required to comply with 604.8.1, at least one compartment shall comply with 604.8.2 where six or more toilet compartments are provided, or where the combination of urinals and water closets totals six or more fixtures.

Advisory 213.3.1 Toilet Compartments. A toilet compartment is a partitioned space that is located within a toilet room, and that normally contains no more than one water closet. A toilet compartment may also contain a lavatory. A lavatory is a sink provided for hand washing. Full-height partitions and door assemblies can comprise toilet compartments where the minimum required spaces are provided within the compartment.
Perfect. Thank you!

For accessibility "Ambulatory" means it has to comply with ANSI (or ADASAD) 604.8.2. It's for people who don't need a wheelchair, but use walkers, crutches, canes, etc. and need the grab bars to help them sit or stand or keep their balance.

For accessibility "Ambulatory" means it has to comply with ANSI (or ADASAD) 604.8.2. It's for people who don't need a wheelchair, but use walkers, crutches, canes, etc. and need the grab bars to help them sit or stand or keep their balance.
Thanks. I thought ambulatory meant walking, so i couldn’t understand why it had to be specified. Adding the crutch/walker comment makes it clear.