• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ambulatory Restrooms

Meadowbend99

Hi,

I'm turning a metal container into toilet partitions with full walls dividing each one, and each toilet partition has an exterior door. Lavatories are located outside the container. We are required to have an ambulatory toilet. I'm trying to find a good solution for how to provide a 36" exterior metal door with metal frame in a metal container to a "room" with a max width of 37". I've gone over the issues of this with our RAS but was told to get creative. Any suggestions? Following Texas TAS.

Hi,

I'm turning a metal container into toilet partitions with full walls dividing each one, and each toilet partition has an exterior door. Lavatories are located outside the container. We are required to have an ambulatory toilet. I'm trying to find a good solution for how to provide a 36" exterior metal door with metal frame in a metal container to a "room" with a max width of 37". I've gone over the issues of this with our RAS but was told to get creative. Any suggestions? Following Texas TAS.
Skip the jamb altogether, screw the hinges directly to the wall of the container, then fab up a sort of jamb on the latch side for the door to latch against. Make the door open out.

Maybe make one larger? Whats special about 37”? Does that allow you to get a certain number of rooms?

Your door clearances will require you to enter into a space wider than the ambulatory stall. That will also be the case for all of the standard stalls.