• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An interesting read...

JBI

http://www.slate.com/id/2246107/?yahoo=y

Saw this on YaHoo and took a look. Basically, it's about the different symbols used for 'Exit' signs in much of the rest of the world. Apparently we here in the USA are a scoche behind the rest of the world in switching over to 'universal symbols' on our most prevalent (and Code required) signage.

Personally, I take no firm position as yet, and can see both sides of this one. Any opinions? (by the way, take the time to read some of the reader comments after the article... interesting.

Re: An interesting read...

JD,

Thanks....nice article.

I worked for many years promoting low level exit signs, floor proximity egress path marking systems and photoluminescent signage and marking acceptance in the Life Safety Code and I see our future as bringing wider usage of the international pictograms in high rise, assembly and hotel occupancies within 10 years here in the states. And as the article indicates, some cities are using some now.

Re: An interesting read...

The transition period is always awkward. Once people get used to a new regulation it gets a bit easier. I'm still not taking a position on the idea, although I do see some merit. Partly because there is no official national language in the United States. Most who've been here for at least two generations are very adamant that newcomers must learn English (or as I call it 'American'), but there is no legal basis for that notion.