• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anchor bolt placement

Daddy-O-,

Not an answer but another question.

Do you, or rather does code, allow that washer?

I would say that as long as it is not a stem wall the washer is ok. The anchor is not compliant though. Anyone see why?

Other than the fact that the bottom plate for whatever wall is going to be bearing on brick veneer?

Was the AB embedded in the slab and then the brick placed on top of the slab? How thick is the slab end; how deep are they embedded?

What wind zone/seismic zone are you in? Seems like a potential sliding problem either way.

Double wythe brick, is that even allowed?

In the picture they have not yet poured the slab. The slab will but the brick with the bolt in the seam. The sill plate will cover the seam after the slab is poured. Bolts would be embedded 4".

What the hell kind of construction is that? Why is the brick below grade? How are they going to maintain an air gap? Not really sure what the heck I am looking at there. What is supporting the brick now?

The AB needs to be embedded in a concrete footing or wall. You could possibly also embed the AB in grouted reinforced masonry but what is shown would not comply.

DRP, I think the washer is there so it does'nt get lost?

I have not seen this type construction, this is new, not sure what were looking at, is'nt most brick soft? Is there a footing under the brick? Will there be a siding too close to grade issue?

Is there an engineer in the house?

DRP

R403.1.6....... "Bolts shall be at least ½ inch (13 mm) in diameter and shall extend a minimum of 7 inches (178 mm) into masonry or concrete. Interior bearing wall sole plates on monolithic slab foundation shall be positively anchored with approved fasteners. A nut and washer shall be tightened on each bolt of the plate."

Guess code allows that washer....

DRP said:
Daddy-O-,Not an answer but another question.

Do you, or rather does code, allow that washer?
Speaking from a 2007 CA code standpoint, that washer is not right. It needs to be steel 3" square for the anchor bolts.

Sue, where the west still lives........

... OR

Sue, Where earthquakes rock the house(s)...

That and really high wind drive the 3" plate requirement.

Not unless an Engineer evaluates and signs off on it, that bolt does not meet the prescriptive requirements of the Res Code. The RC has prescriptive designs for shallow frost protected and slab-on-grade construction. Have them use those alternatives.

It might work if there's a plate at the bottom embedded in the brick joints a foot or so below the slab. I wouldn't count on filling the collar joint to develop much bond between the bolt & brick. For those who questioned the washer size, central Virginia is in a low seismic & wind zone.

Ditto what TimNY and Jar said. What kind of contractors you got there anyway? Never seen anything like it and would probably just drive away shaking my head.

I was just curious on the washer, it's the same as what we are getting from Lowes now. I drill a 5/8 hole in the sill to allow a little wiggle/fuzzy room and the washers seem to be getting smaller... leave it to lowes to save a penny. I've been stacking a larger one under that one just because it looks like it'd pull thru if it ever was called on. I am a little further up than you guys, not in the SWR by a few hundred feet elevation here at the house but can see it from the back porch.

I don't understand how this will work. Even if it was all masonry and the anchor is to be embeded in grout, the anchor bolt needs to be 1/4" to 1/2" away from the masonry per ACI-530.

The biggest issue for me was not getting the 7" minimum embedment. They came back with Simpson mas anchor straps that are approved for slab embedment and an engineer's letter. OK by me.