• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another Change of Use & Function

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

I have a an existing small wing, in an existing hospital, that is currently being used

as office spaces (7 total). I am assuming it is a "B" Occ. Group, but not sure!

The plans are to convert these office spaces in to Patient Rooms, with only 1 of the

7 being designated as an ADA Patient Room & ADA Patient Toilet Room. All 7 will

have "new" Toilet Rooms in them. We are using the 2006 Edition of the I-codes

and the 2003 Edtion of the ICC/ANSI A117.1 Standard.

QUESTION # 1: Do all of the "new" Patient Rooms have to be fully ADA compliant,

including the "new" Toilet Rooms, or just the one designated (RE: Section 3403.1)?

Any other relevant information, experience or code sections will be greatly

appreciated! Thank you! :)

International Building Code 2009 Commentaries

1107.5.3.1 Accessible units. At least 10 percent, but not less than one, of the dwelling units and sleeping units shall be Accessible units.

While the anticipated percentage of patients in general-purpose hospitals is typically higher than 10 percent, there is also an anticipation that many of the patients will be routinely assisted by staff. Section 1109.2, Exception 5, exempts the bathrooms associated with critical care or intensive care. Sections 1104.3.2, Exception 2 and 1107.3, Exception 2, exempt any 44-inch (1118 mm) doors from the maneuvering clearance on the inside of the Accessible patient sleeping room. Wider doors are required in Section 1008.1.1 for Group I-2 facilities where there is movement of patients in their beds. In the case of psychiatric facilities, detoxification facilities or residential care/assisted facilities, it is less likely that the typical patient will be physically disabled.

Thanks mark h. for the input and code sections, ..a BIG Help!

QUESTION # 2: What about common spaces/corridors & operable parts,

..does Section 1109.13 = Controls, operating mechanisms and hardware, 2006

IBC apply to the hospital nursing staff? I have a "new" thermostat being installed

outside of the required ADA/Accessible sleeping unit, in a corridor. Also,

Section 308 & 309 in the 2003 Edition of ICC/ANSI A117.1.

Yes any new controls should be accessible

But you can make the case that only mantaniance personal will control it

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, ...thanks mark!

I will provide a comment to the RDP and let them defend their position.