• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another Existing Office Building Topic

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

Yes, another existing building topic.

I have an existing office building, approx. 3,200 - 3,500 sq. ft. (h&c), ..all

Type "B" occ. group. One side of the bldg. is a totally separated office

suite for a current tenant, including a draft stop wall in the attic spaces.

This existing office space has its own dedicated HVAC unit in the attic,

..its own dedicated interior & exterior electrical panels and electrical meter.

The remainder of this existing building, has in the past, had two tenants

in one space. Now, plans have been submitted to separate this remainder

of the space. By separate, I mean to install walls and one door to create

a "new" tenant space.

The problem is that there are two separate hvac units in the attic spaces,

for the one large, existing office space, ..one gas water heater, and one

interior & exterior electrical panel, and one electrical meter.

QUESTION # 1: By creating this "new" segregated tenant space, will all

of the utilities and appliances need to be fully separated, and fully

Accessible.

QUESTION # 2: If you answer "no" to QUESTION # 1, how much is

required to be fully separate?

We are using the 2006 Edition of the I-codes, ..the 2008 NEC & the

2003 Edition of ICC/ANSI A117.1.

I am reviewing Ch. 34 for answers.

Thanks for your input!

Why are you investigating reasons to turn a simple straight forward project into a complicated argument?

Do you think their proposal is unreasonable?

Grossly unsafe (assuming that egress is adequate?

Going to destroy the fabric of the universe?

All the serious issues likely to lead to shootings or fisticuffs arising from two tenants sharing utilities have been worked out between the parties already.

Let them build a wall and add value to your community.

Why are you investigating reasons to turn a simple straight forward project into a complicatedargument?
For one thing, this "new tenant space will not have ready access to the OCPD's for

their space (RE: Article 230.72, 2008 NEC), nor can continuous bldg. management

supervision be guaranteed. Even if the "existing" large space tenant submits

something in writing stating that they will have continuous bldg. management,

hypothetically, they could be out of the office when the "new" tenant is in their

"new" space. How does the "new" tenant have guaranteed access then?

Secondly, the thermostat that currently controls the proposed "new" tenant space

will be located outside of their "newly" created space when the alteration is

completed. (i.e. - different tenant spaces with different occupants will want

different temperature settings & the ability to adjust that temperature setting),

and thirdly, what about security of the "new" tenant space? The current attic

space is open to both tenants. When completed, the attic space will have access

to both tenant spaces via a set of pull down stairs.

FWIW, I am trying to research this project for code compliance and not a

complicated argument.

3. would say the code does not address the common attic issue, more of owner/tenant problem

2. can they repipe the a/c units, since there are two?? and each space have a unit??

3. would say the code does not address the common attic issue, more of owner/tenant problem

globe trekker said:
For one thing, this "new tenant space will not have ready access to the OCPD's for their space (RE: Article 230.72, 2008 NEC), nor can continuous bldg. management supervision be guaranteed. Even if the "existing" large space tenant submits something in writing stating that they will have continuous bldg. management, hypothetically, they could be out of the office when the "new" tenant is in their "new" space. How does the "new" tenant have guaranteed access then? Secondly, the thermostat that currently controls the proposed "new" tenant space will be located outside of their "newly" created space when the alteration is completed. (i.e. - different tenant spaces with different occupants will want different temperature settings & the ability to adjust that temperature setting), and thirdly, what about security of the "new" tenant space? The current attic space is open to both tenants. When completed, the attic space will have access to both tenant spaces via a set of pull down stairs. FWIW, I am trying to research this project for code compliance and not a complicated argument.
Everything you mention sounds like the sort of thing the landlord can manage. Including the last part by trying to get by without a permit.

Forgive me for not seeing the benefit in turning a couple of partitions into a full blown dance party.

2. can they repipe the a/c units, since there are two?? and each space have a unit??3. would say the code does not address the common attic issue, more of owner/tenant problem
I'm guessing that they probably could separate the two systems and re-pipe & re-duct for the

"new" tenant space. My OP is trying to research what is actually required by the adopted codes

though!

I do not want them to alter anything that they are not required to. Just trying to cover my

bases and perform a thorough due diligence. :)

I agree that the common attic areas ARE a tenant / landlord issue.

I haven't found anything in the IMC or NEC that will require the controls for the HVAC system

to actually be located in the "new" tenant space. Still looking & researching though!