• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another forum out there

The Building Code Discussions Group (BCDG) is a powerful online community that started in 1995 and accessed only by "Premium Members" (i.e. paid membership).

That's their opening line. They lost me at 'hello'... If we wanted to pay to play, we could also go back to ICC.

JBI said:
The Building Code Discussions Group (BCDG) is a powerful online community that started in 1995 and accessed only by "Premium Members" (i.e. paid membership). That's their opening line. They lost me at 'hello'... If we wanted to pay to play, we could also go back to ICC.
I'm with you John.

I used to belong to that one till it became subscription...was mostly California people, tho.

It was good but not as freeflowing and active as the old BB.

No answer still to my question here...why did old BB say it had 14,000 members? Was it true?

jim baird said:
I used to belong to that one till it became subscription...was mostly California people, tho.It was good but not as freeflowing and active as the old BB...
I was also. Did get a little knowledge there.

I am aware of the board and also aware that it is a paid subscription in order to see the posts and to post.

Was that really a good idea to post a link to another board? Think about it.

Ahhh . . . I didn't think it would be a problem. . . . enlighten me? What's the issue?

Actually I was active in that board too until $$. Mostly CA. This board is way better.

TJacobs said:
Actually I was active in that board too until $$. Mostly CA. This board is way better.
I know nothing about that board, but figured we were all grown-ups capable of making individual reasonable decisions in our own best interests.

There I go again stepping on toes that I didn't even know where there. Oh well.

jar546 said:
Its not a problem but I did not appreciate it when I am trying to grow this board
Jeff,

Thank you for starting this BB.

You found a niche that other BB can't fill.

Last edited by a moderator:
They used to be free. But I found that most topics were accessibility related. Building codes were discussed but not as they are here. My 2 cents is it would not be worth paying for.

I'll expand on my previous post...I WOULD $$ to use this board. I was unwilling to $$ for the other board. See reason in previous post.

I think it is commendable that this thread has not been deleted. Recall the censorship by ICC deleting links to Advanced Code Group from the COI.

This is a great demonstration of how this board seeks to maintain a more free discussion with sharing of industry ideas, interpretations, practices and applications, including links to outside resources.

For this reason, I do not anticipate losing a single poster to another board.

Although it is owned, controlled and operated by Jeff; this forum is "Our forum" .

Jeff, at the outset of delivering us from oblivion; has stated that if we wanted to start an independent organization and make it an independent forum and fund it; he would turn it over to us. We considered the option and took no action. Many of us offered (and the offer still stands) to provide Jeff with funding for this forum and he respectfully refused it.

There is no other forum on the web that is dedicated to the open study of and sharing of knowledge and experience of the codes; and that is open to all.

There is no agenda attached to this forum; no special interest group controls it; and, I believe there never will be.

We have something unique here; that is not in danger of being replaced.

Members who post on other websites will only bring in more members to this forum. I believe that when and if the ICC forum changes, it will still be by necessity, a more strict board; which will only bring more members to this forum.

Our trust in Jeff; and his dedication to our forum; is what makes us and this forum strong.

Thanks Jeff,

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee said:
Well then, please accept my apology
No reason to apologize. I don't like it but others might like it. There is some freedom here with respect to what you post that may not be found elsewhere for the price.

There are no toes to step on. My opinion counts just as yours does and we may not always agree with the decisions of others. I did not delete your post, I did not lock the thread or any other heavy handed function.

I simply don't agree with what you did but your post is still there and your opinion still counts.

Like jar546, I also created a code forum when everybody left ICC.

It was just a back-up plan in case this one didn't work out.

This site is doing well so no need to compete.

However, will probably get mine going once I'm banned here.