• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another separate sex question

Yikes

Gold Member
I have a 600 SF recreation room serving 18 one-bedroom apartments (located in California).

due to space constraints, I would like to install only one single accommodation toilet facility near the rec room. Here's my logic:

A) Cal. Plumbing Code (based on 2006 UPC) Table 4-1, footnote 16:

Recreation or community room in multiple dwellings or apartment buildings, regardless or their occupant load, shall be permitted to have separate single accommodation facilities in common-use areas within tracts or multi-family residential occupancies where the use of these areas is limited exclusively to owners, residents, and their guests. Examples are community recreation or multi-purpose areas in apartments, condos, townhouses, or tracts.

Question: what does "separate" mean? separate-sex? ...or separate from the apartment bathrooms themselves?

B) CPC 412.3, Separate facilities

Separate toilet facilities shall be provided for each sex.

Exceptions:

(1) Residential installations.

Question: my community room is an accessory to the Residential occupancy. So does that mean I don't need separate sex facilities, but instead just one single-accommodation facility?

My question would be what is the space going to be used for? if it is only for the people that live there and not going to be used as a meeting place they will rent out and becasue it is so small on unisex restroom will be just fine, however if they are going to rent it out to the public then I would take the occ. count and make them install the right amount of fixtures.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Justin

Moscow - indeed the rec room is ONLY for use by the residents.

Mark - sorry, I meant "California Building Code, based on the 2009 UPC".

I had an upside-down moment there.

it is a stretch. The rec room is a B occupancy

if it was a buisness or merc space, one restroom..... Flip the coin....

In the good old days, if you were within 300 ft of your door you did not need the RR.

Mark - CBC 303.1 exc. #3 says

3. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy."

* So if it's "R" then its residential, and I only need one bathroom.

* If it's "B", that would be a "Business" occupancy.

CPC412.3 Separate Facilities.

Separate toilet facilities shall be provided for each sex.

Exceptions:

(1) Residential installations.

(2) In occupancies serving ten (10) or fewer people, one (1) toilet facility, designed for use by no more than one (1)

person at a time, shall be permitted for use by both sexes.

(3) In business and mercantile occupancies with a total floor area of fifteen-hundred (1,500) square feet (139.4 m2) or less, one (1) toilet facility, designed for use by no more than one (1) person at a time, shall satisfy the requirementsfor serving customers and employees of both sexes.

Last edited by a moderator: