• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another "Thru Penetration" Question

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

This question / application may have already been discussed. I searched the Forum

archives, but did not find an anything.

The Application: I have an existing Type "B" occ. group setting that is remodeling

some office spaces and an exit corridor. They want to rate the Corridor to a 2 hr. rated

assembly, by installing 2 layers of 5/8" gyp. board on both sides of a corridor wall

nearest the remodeled office spaces. There are existing electrical wires, ..some conduit,

..some Comm. wiring and at least 1 - 4 inch pvc pipe penetrating the now, ..2hr. rated

assembly. The RDP designed plans did not address this "thru penetration" of the pvc

piping, because they did not know it was there. The GC has applied gyp. mud around

this existing pvc pipe as a sealant to prevent the passage of flames & smoke.

QUESTION # 1: Is the sealing around this existing 4" pvc pipe; through a 2 hr. rated

corridor, a compliant method of sealing a "thru penetration" (RE: Section 712.3.1.1.,

..in the 2006 Edition of the IBC)?

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

globe trekker said:
Greetings to all!This question / application may have already been discussed. I searched the Forum

archives, but did not find an anything.

The Application: I have an existing Type "B" occ. group setting that is remodeling

some office spaces and an exit corridor. They want to rate the Corridor to a 2 hr. rated

assembly, by installing 2 layers of 5/8" gyp. board on both sides of a corridor wall

nearest the remodeled office spaces. There are existing electrical wires, ..some conduit,

..some Comm. wiring and at least 1 - 4 inch pvc pipe penetrating the now, ..2hr. rated

assembly. The RDP designed plans did not address this "thru penetration" of the pvc

piping, because they did not know it was there. The GC has applied gyp. mud around

this existing pvc pipe as a sealant to prevent the passage of flames & smoke.

QUESTION # 1: Is the sealing around this existing 4" pvc pipe; through a 2 hr. rated

corridor, a compliant method of sealing a "thru penetration" (RE: Section 712.3.1.1.,

..in the 2006 Edition of the IBC)?

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

Not a fire rated assembly

Thanks Gregg!

As I understand the RDP plans, the Corridor will be a 2 hr. fire rated assembly!

why 2 hours?

and do you mean that they penetrate through the wall into the corridor?

Thanks cda!

why 2 hours? and do you mean that they penetrate through the wall into the corridor?
The RDP designed the Corridor to be 2 hr. rated, and yes, the 4" pvc pipe penetrates through the

rated wall assembly.

The 4" pvc pipe is an existing vent-thru-the roof for a sanitary sewer drain line in the building.

globe trekker said:
Thanks Gregg!As I understand the RDP plans, the Corridor will be a 2 hr. fire rated assembly!

Using drywall mud around the pipe does not meet the requirements for a fire rated assembly, an approve fire stop penetration system meeting ASTME 814 would be required.

Again, .."thank you" cda & Gregg for your input!

Your comments reflect my thoughts as well! I am preparing a comment letter back to the

RDP, so that they can address this; and other, project issues.

Globe trekker (and others), there's an organization that has some great training on through penetration firestop assemblies as well as other assemblies which utilized firestopping, such as joints. The Interational Firestop Council has several articles as well as powerpoint presentations available to code officials. Check out their website - Home Page - International Firestop Council

It's difficult enough to get a 4 inch steel conduit fire stopped efficiently to meet code requirements for a 2 hour rating. I've never seen nor heard of a 4 inch PVC pipe penetrating a 2 hour rated wall and meeting code.

I recently had a job where I had to send some 12-odd plastic pipes through a 2-HR wall. It can be done. From the design side I wasted a lot of time mucking about in the UL catalogs only to have the contractor substitute a different system anyway.

I would suggest that the RDP contact an arch. rep from one of the big firestop manufacturers like 3M or Hilti for assistance. Either way, gyp mud doesn't cut it, and whatever they choose shouldn't be approved without a UL design acompanying the submittal.

lpiburn said:
I recently had a job where I had to send some 12-odd plastic pipes through a 2-HR wall. It can be done. From the design side I wasted a lot of time mucking about in the UL catalogs only to have the contractor substitute a different system anyway. I would suggest that the RDP contact an arch. rep from one of the big firestop manufacturers like 3M or Hilti for assistance. Either way, gyp mud doesn't cut it, and whatever they choose shouldn't be approved without a UL design acompanying the submittal.
And if they can't find a UL listing for the situation, they may be able to develop an engineering judgement which could be used specifically for your situation. Most of the major firestop companies have interactive websites where you can search for various firestopping systems based on the rating of the assembly, the type of assembly, the type of penetrant and some other factors.