• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ANSI Child height plumbing fixtures

Tim Mailloux

ANSI child height fixtures are optional in CT, and my client is trying to decide if they want to implement them on a new Pre-K thru 5th grade elementary school currently in design. The client is currently leaning towards applying the ANSI child height fixtures to only the toilet rooms serving the Pre-K and K students, and having the remainder of the student toilet facilities serving grades 1 thru 5 at the standard ANSI heights. On past projects where we have implemented ANSI child height fixtures we did it consistently across all grades and age ranges. However the ANSI commentary wording could be read that it’s a room by room decision and doesn't have to apply to the entire student body. Whats the consensus here?

I have always treated it based on the grade/age of the students. I certainly think that by 5th grade most children are grown enough to use adult-height water closets. Pre-K and K is probably as good a break point as any.

It doesn't apply uniformly throughout the entire building unless there's a good reason to do so.

The client is currently leaning towards applying the ANSI child height fixtures to only the toilet rooms serving the Pre-K and K students, and having the remainder of the student toilet facilities serving grades 1 thru 5 at the standard ANSI heights.
Local school district in my area did it that way.

Pre-K and K have facilities within the classroom. 1-6 had centrally located.

I saw no issue with it. A117.1 has that optionality baked into it.

The ICC/ANSI defines children's use as "primarily" for 12 and under. Requiring the same dimensions across all ages could be be tricky. Normally I don't like subjective terms like "primarily", but in this case it would allow a focused implementation depending on age distribution.

The ICC/ANSI defines children's use as "primarily" for 12 and under. Requiring the same dimensions across all ages could be be tricky. Normally I don't like subjective terms like "primarily", but in this case it would allow a focused implementation depending on age distribution.
Heh, heh.

Age 12 is approximately 6th grade. By age 12 I was 6 feet tall ...