• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ANSI TYPE B - Cabinet Pulls

Dominic

SAWHORSE
I have a question regarding the cabinet pulls and required reach range over the kitchen counters. This question only pertains to the ANSI Type B/Fair Housing Apartments. There is an exception in both of these codes that the countertop in kitchens can be 25.5” deep. From the face of the cabinet door that only leaves ¾” for a cabinet door pull. Do the cabinet pulls need to be within that 25.5” reach range or can they extend beyond that? The pull that are specified extends 7/16” beyond the 25.5”. See attached picture.

Has anyone come acrosss this issue?

Thank you...

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 8
There are a variety of pulls that are recessed or project much less from the face of a drawer/door.

The Significant Changes book that addresses this exception when it was added in the 2009 edition does not address hardware at all. Although the exception specifically mentions the depth of "countertops," I would expect some to interpret just the way you think they might, by including the added dimension of the hardware.

There are a variety of pulls that are recessed or project much less from the face of a drawer/door.

The Significant Changes book that addresses this exception when it was added in the 2009 edition does not address hardware at all. Although the exception specifically mentions the depth of "countertops," I would expect some to interpret just the way you think they might, by including the added dimension of the hardware.
Thank you. I will look for different pulls.

Avoid recessed pulls, can't open using knuckles. suggested projection of 1.5" best for knuckling if no fingers.
They have touch latch drawer glides where you just tap the face, no face pulls required.

I've not heard or run into a situation where the hardware was considered an obstruction that interferes with the maximum reach range.

as in to "operate" as in "to open" the drawer.
Eliminate the face pull and you reduce the depth required to reach to within the 24" max. allowed.

ANSI use to require 20% of the cabinets in break rooms and kitchens to be accessible. That was later taken out so I guess none need to be accessible which would include the pulls.