• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Any Cons to changing use group

KassandraK+

Hi, I am adding 1700sf to an existing building group C2. In this group we would need to add a water closet, which the owner does not want to do. I suggest a change of use to A2 restaurant with the assumption they can still sell packaged food and t-lshirts. Are there any cons. to a change of use in this instance?

Location Hawaii County, Using IBC 2018, Currently Group B (apologies). Would like to change use to A2. They will be making and serving food and drinks, selling chocolate goods, and t-shirts. Thank you

Okay. Hawaii has adopted the 2018 IEBC along with the 2018 IBC. Will there be any alterations AT ALL in the existing part of the building? In other words, is this purely an addition project, or will it also involve alterations under the IEBC as well as the addition?

How big is the existing building? What's driving the need to add a water closet? How many plumbing fixtures are there in the existing building, and are they separated by gender? When was the existing building constructed, and what code edition was the current certificate of occupancy issued under?

A change of use to a restaurant would likely use more energy and require the building to be brought into full compliance with today's energy code...

C505.1 General

Spaces undergoing a change in occupancy that would result in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code. Where the use in a space changes from one use in Table C405.3.2(1) or C405.3.2(2) to another use in Table C405.3.2(1) or C405.3.2(2), the installed lighting wattage shall comply with Section C405.3. Where the space undergoing a change in occupancy or use is in a building with a fenestration area that exceeds the limitations of Section C402.4.1, the space is exempt from Section C402.4.1 provided that there is not an increase in fenestration area.

This will help. First image is outdoor addition I am adding, nothing else. Second image is new, permitted work, that is being done now. Building was erected in 1923.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.51.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.51.43 AM.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.53.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.53.10 AM.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 15
A change of use to a restaurant would likely use more energy and require the building to be brought into full compliance with today's energy code...

C505.1 General

Spaces undergoing a change in occupancy that would result in an increase in demand for either fossil fuel or electrical energy shall comply with this code. Where the use in a space changes from one use in Table C405.3.2(1) or C405.3.2(2) to another use in Table C405.3.2(1) or C405.3.2(2), the installed lighting wattage shall comply with Section C405.3. Where the space undergoing a change in occupancy or use is in a building with a fenestration area that exceeds the limitations of Section C402.4.1, the space is exempt from Section C402.4.1 provided that there is not an increase in fenestration area.
I recently did this for a basement storage to a speak easy in without needing to update things. It come down to SF in that case. I will look into this, thank you.
My biggest fears would be taking away from retail use and possibly having to add a sprinkler system.

Hi, I am adding 1700sf to an existing building group C2. In this group we would need to add a water closet, which the owner does not want to do. I suggest a change of use to A2 restaurant with the assumption they can still sell packaged food and t-lshirts. Are there any cons. to a change of use in this instance?
You mention change of use from B to A2, but I look at your plan and I am wondering if this is a retail business that also happens to prepare and sell some food on the side, or if it is a small food service establishment that is trying really hard to supplement their revenue by selling retail goods. Both the Mercantile area and A-2 areas are greater than 10% of the floor area so they’re not accessory uses, looks like this might be M/A-2 mixed use.

Considering the small floor area for the seating area, I would assume a small occupant load, if the occupant load is less than 50 it would be a Business occupancy per 303.1.2 (Small Assembly Spaces) and therefore no change of use is needed. But you’d still have to convince the building department that the retail area is accessory to the food service use otherwise it’s mixed occupancy.