• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Any prohibition on using remodel boxes in new construction?

Robert Ellenberg

I see it done occassionally, usually where a wire is left inside a wall because the final location of a wall mount light fixture is not determined at roughin and they later cut out the drywall and mount a box on ears or with the plates than bend in the tabs. However, they are always referred to as old work or remodel boxes and if I remember correctly, when you read the manufacturers specifications on those boxes they also refer to existing walls, etc. in describing them. Using them also mean the boxes are secured to the drywall or paneling rather than the framing.

Opinions or definitive statements from the codes concerning their use in new construction?

The only potential improper use could be in a rated (fire) wall.

Per ANSI/UL 514A for metallic outlet boxes:

Listed single- and double-gang metallic outlet and switch boxes with metallic or nonmetallic cover plates may be used in bearing and nonbearing wood stud and steel stud walls with ratings not exceeding 2 h. These walls have gypsum wallboard facings similar to those shown in Design Nos. U301, U411 and U425, as covered under Fire Resistance Ratings - ANSI/UL 263 (BXUV). The boxes are intended to be fastened to the studs with the openings in the wallboard facing cut so that the clearance between the boxes and the wallboard does not exceed 1/8 in. The boxes are intended to be installed so that the surface area of individual boxes does not exceed 16 sq in, and the aggregate surface area of the boxes does not exceed 100 sq in per 100 sq ft of wall surface.
I do know of at least one manufacturer of a cut-in type box that is listed and labeled for use in a rated assembly.