• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Any UL experts out there

rktect 1

Gold Member
I had a question today about whether a one hour rated wall requires the door frame to be grouted. I was given the UL number A-1924 as well as UL 10C U8C7-2(1997)

Any help in either the direction I could approach this or an all out answer would be appreciated.

I did call UL's architectural services people who told me that it should be listed in the installation instructions or is up to the AHJ. :roll:

Re: Any UL experts out there

rk - Did you ask them to fax or e-mail the listings that were indicated? UL actually will provide complete copies (paper or disc, disc is the preferred media) of all their volumes to any AHJ upon request.

Well, that would be nice. I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks

First off, if you need to look up any UL information, you can go to ul.com or use this link to the certifications directory http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html

Second, A-1924 does not appear at the UL website (that I could find), maybe another testing company.

I am presuming this is a 1 hour masonry wall, if so then the frame listing dictates grouting or not. The frame must be in contact with the masonry and there can be no openings between the frame and the masonry. Grouting usually makes this semi-foolproof. If the wall is drywall, then butted frames 'usually' can not be used because they do not pass fire and hose stream tests. There are probably exceptions. Wrap around frames for drywall.

Third, the number, UL 10C U8C7-2(1997) - UL 10C is basically the hose stream test number. UBC 7-2 is the UBC standard number.

Thanks for the link Dan. I knew there was one, I just didn't have it...