• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anyone interested in Putting together a Pittsburgh contractor training seminar?

MarcusGeiser

Bronze Member
I would like to put something together in Pittsburgh. Would anyone be interested in working together to put on a training seminar? We coud hash out the details together. I am a contractor and believe we could put together something useful.

Back in the 90's I helped put on a training classes on the new "shear wall requirements" of the 94 UBC. Found I could get ICBO, now ICC, to come in and provide all sorts of classes. Those cost money. So we went with a combo of suppliers that were willing to come in for free. The two that came in were APA and Simpson for details on shear walls and connections and paid for one ICBO class to make it a two day training event. Somehow we got 80 plus contractor, designers and building inspectors, reviewers and officals. Most stayed for the second day.

Bottom line was get those you know will come (BO's) and invite the contractors, designers and others.

Short addition to the story was we have enough funds to start yearly classes after that. Then we would really bring in the ICBO speakers and pay their free and reduce the cost so people would come to the seminars.

As mentioned, the APA has provided training free of charge two years ago for our group. The last session we had was geared toward inspectors, plan reviewers and engineer/architects and as above was based on shear walls. They are a good bunch to work with just make sure you provide the coffee and doughnuts.

RJJ said:
What areas of the code would you be looking to cover. I may be interested.
I would be open to discuss what would be covered. I think you would know better than me what should be covered. PM me if you would like to shoot ideas back and forth.

Some ideas I have are:

Common Code Violations

Q & A Session

Safety on job sites

Maybe a few hand outs

I could with the Inspector put together an informational packet

Does anyone have any ideas and what would make this an informative worthwhile event?