• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

APARTMENT ACCESSIBILITY

VLADIMIR LEVIN

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this:
A new 1 story, 5 unit apartment building requires all apartments to be type "B" Units, with accessible route to each unit.
My building's first floor is above grade with the entrance to each apartment discharging directly to the exterior.
One way (and probably the simplest way) to make each apartment entrance accessible would be to provide one exterior balcony with a platform lift from grade to balcony.

You did not say where the building is located. What is the applicable code for the jurisdiction?

And does the development utilize any public funds, making it subject to ADA?

You did not say where the building is located. What is the applicable code for the jurisdiction?

And does the development utilize any public funds, making it subject to ADA?
NY, 2020 NYS BC
No public funds, it's a private development

Make sure you can use a lift in your NEW building. Most Jurisdictions I have dealt with will not allow lifts in new construction.
NYC Building Code 2022
1109.8 Lifts