• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Apartment Complexes & Special Inspections

Alias

Question for you. What special inspections would be required on an 11 building, 200 unit apartment senior citizen complex complete with clubhouse and 200 covered parking spaces? I am under CBC 2007.

Possibilities I have come up with - concrete, welding, bolting, shear, fire and elevators - so far. What have I missed?

The reason for the question is that we have this type of developement proposed. There is a special meeting scheduled tonight for the Planning Commission and if they bless this, I want to be able to hit the ground running. I have yet to see a full set of engineered plans but do know that it will have elevators due to the senior citizens.

TIA

Sue..........and to say that there is a negative reaction to the proposal is putting it mildly. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some seismic zones require additional special inspections and ASCE 7-05 ( if referenced by the CBC) will require additional special inspections than listed in the building code.

fire proofing, EFIS, soil... some jurisdictions require daily inspections during the erection of the super structure for extremely large structures (even if they aren't high rise)

I suggest looking in the IBC at the special inspection section, then section 109, and then add ADA, Fire, , , and whatever else you want. I don't know about the CBC.

sue,

soils and rough grading a must, soils engineer to approve before cement hits the ground. these guys love to epoxy in holdown and interior shear wall bolts later .it makes pouring slabs real easy if you don't have to preset those dam bolts! elevators will be inspected and approved by cal-osha, the contractor should know those rules. you got my number so call anytime if you need any of my help!

pwood said:
sue,soils and rough grading a must, soils engineer to approve before cement hits the ground. these guys love to epoxy in holdown and interior shear wall bolts later .it makes pouring slabs real easy if you don't have to preset those dam bolts! elevators will be inspected and approved by cal-osha, the contractor should know those rules. you got my number so call anytime if you need any of my help!
pwood -

Thanks! I expect to be bald shortly after the project commences. :D Forgot the soils, there will be cut and fill due to the hillside. As to the holddowns and bolts, I know how much 'the guys' don't care about spacing. :rolleyes: Spent one day a week on a townhome complex in the south bay just checking anchor bolts and holddowns when I was doing special inspections. You'd think by the third building they'd have it figured out...........

The project has made it over the first hurdle, the preliminary planning meeting, now it's on to city council. Final stop will be back at planning commission with a full set of plans. They want to break ground this year. I hope they do, my stats are in the toilet.

Sue, hangin' on by a thread on the frontier......................:cool:

mtlogcabin said:
Some seismic zones require additional special inspections and ASCE 7-05 ( if referenced by the CBC) will require additional special inspections than listed in the building code.
We do, even though we are barely in CA. Something about earthquakes......................: )

Thanks!

Sue, living on the edge of the ring of fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
peach said:
fire proofing, EFIS, soil... some jurisdictions require daily inspections during the erection of the super structure for extremely large structures (even if they aren't high rise)
peach -

Thanks! I'll be getting some help from the fire marshal on the fire suppression, etc. (I hope). I'm hoping that they do require daily checks, maybe I'll go back to 40 hrs a week. :cool:

Sue, on the frontier