• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Appendix D and Residential Access

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
Under the 2006 IFC, Appendix D, if all dwellings in a development are equipped with automatic sprinkler systems, there need be only one "fire apparatus access road" (if there are more than 30 dwellings in a development), according to Exception #1.

The question is - if the development tags on to an existing development with only one entrance - and the existing development consists of entirely non-sprinklered dwellings - does the exception still apply? I guess I'm having more trouble understanding 'Exception #2'. To me, it's almost as if the wording from 'Exception #2' should be placed in the main paragraph of Section D107.1, so as to say, effectively, "....fire apparatus roads ...shall meet the requirements of Section D104.3, and the number of dwelling units on a single fire apparatus access road shall not be increased unless fire apparatus roads will connect with future development, as determined by the fire code official".

Otherwise, does it make sense that a development of a thousand homes would be allowed to be built with only one access road?

Did you also read Section 503? As far as your last paragraph, no, it does not make sense and I would not allow use of the exception for a new development tacked on to an existing one. Any new homes in the existing development would need to be sprinklered IMO, or they can provide more fire access roads.

We have adopted Appendix D. I am in complete agreement with TJacobs, in that it doesn't make sense to me, but then as I read it, it reads as if - if you meet exception #1, you are exempt. Surely not, given the situation described above???