• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Appendix K in the 2002 NYS Building Code for additions to existing buildings

jonochshorn

Does anyone working in NYS have any experience using Appendix K in the old 2002 Building Code of NYS to determine the allowable floor area of an addition? The relevant section only says that the combined area of an addition and the existing building it is attached to need not conform to the requirements of Chapter 5 (including Table 503) as long as a fire barrier (not a fire wall) is provided. However, it sets no limit to the floor area in such cases, which seems more than a bit strange. Every other Code I know of requires a fire wall in such circumstances (i.e., to exceed the area limits of Table 503 by, in effect, creating a separate building).

jonochshorn: I have worked with the NYS codes for the past 17 years. After a review of your question, I dug out my 2002 Code book and checked Section 3410.2.3 (Existing BUildings) and appendix K9 for aditions to existing buildings. Chapter 34 "§3410.2.3 Additions. Additions to existing buildings shall comply with the requirements of this code for new construction. The combined height and area of the existing building and the new addition shall not exceed the height and area allowed by Chapter 5. Where a fire wall that complies with §705 is provided between the addition and the existing building, the addition shall be considered a separate building. K902 further states §BK902.2 Area limitations. No addition shall increase the area of an existing building beyond that permitted under the applicable provisions of Chapter 5 of the Building Code for new buildings, unless a fire barrier in accordance with §706 of the Building Code is provided.

of the Building Code for new buildings, unless a fire barrier in accordance with §706 of the Building Code is provided. It appears to me that both Code sections are stating the same thing. The original building and the addition cannot exceed the area regulated by Chapter 5. hope this helps