• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Architect candidate & serious code aficionado

Keith

What a great site! I get such a rush from some of these threads.

After being laid off from a large firm at the end of 08', I have had limited, but better than nothing success at finding some design and building permit related work via posting my services on Craigslist. I am also taking Architect Registration Exams, of which Mechanical and Electrical is next on my list.

Currently I am trying to process two different auto repair related projects at the same time in two different cities. (SF and San Jose, CA)

While I have gotten some resistance to the auto repair, (with hotworks welding), qualifying as an S-1 occupancy, I feel ready for the debate, (as well as the beating).

New codes are bringing new adventures and knowledge that gets the blood pumping.

more about me at www.664design.yolasite.com

Thanks to everyone who contributes and relates to finding one's way through this important but dizzy-ing maze of requirements & interpretations.

Keith

You are always welcome to jump in. Myself, I like to pick on Architects - Its just the nature of my experience.

Welcome aboard Keith! You'll find quite a few fellow Californios on this board.

Sue, in the 'other CA', where the west still lives........

Welcome a-board Keith.

Unless CA has a State modification... 311.2 Moderate-hazard storage, Group S-1. Buildings occupied for storage uses that are not classified as Group S-2, including, but not limited to, storage of the following:

Motor vehicle repair garages complying with the maximum allowable quantities of hazardous materials listed in Table 307.1(1) (see Section 406.6)

The welding/hot work may require an operating/operational permit under the fire code, but shouldn't affect the occupancy claasification.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress.

Keith, you're not the first to ask... I found it on an avatar website. All I remember is that it was one of the first choices on a yaHoo search for 'avatar'. I'm not even sure I still have it on my hard drive either... just here at the BB.

Try a 'right click', 'save as'. I just checked and was ready to save as a 'gif'. JBI

Last edited by a moderator: