• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Architect editing other architect's plans

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I did a review on a sealed architect's plan a second time because I asked for some corrections but got an answer from a different (2nd) architect in a form of a letter. The two architects don't even work together. I rejected this because the letter and sealed plans did not match. For an example the sealed plans specified trusses but the letter said rafters.

I called the first architect about it and he didn't know anything about it. He said he will take care of it.

The 2nd architect just called me and told me she will be showing everything that she had on her letter on his plans. She told me she is doing the changes because the home owner fired the first architect.

I checked the on line list of certified PA architects and the first architect was not there even though the plans had his seal. After futher investigation I think he use to be cerified but did not renew his cert. but these plan might have been by him before he dropped his cert.

The plans are not required to be sealed because it looks like it compiles to the IRC. But since it is sealed I need to get the details so it will be constructed to the sealed plans. This would include the 3/4" ply wood sheeting on the walls that the plans indicate. When was the last time you saw real plywood under vinyl siding?

This is a simple 12' x 12' one story addition on a craw space.

This seams fishy. I don't think an architect should be editing an other architect's plans.

If the drawings do not need to be signed this is not an issue for the building department. Does the application comply with the building code?

You might ask the Owner to clarify who is acting as their agent in this matter.

It is a civil issue.
BUT, sealed drawings are the design professionals property, The plans must be redone by the "new architect. Or get a letter of authorization, from architect one, allowing the second architect to use the plans.

If the plans are sealed they are an instrument of service. Unless permission to continue use the licensed design professional can withdraw the plans . unless ownership has been transfered the LDP owns them . signature required or not.
But as stated before, it is a civil mater. Contact your authorities legal counsel.

I'm with Mark K on this.....If it doesn't legally need a seal, it is not my concern.
I think this is the best approach since architect #1 is now unlicensed he has no legal power to enforce anything in court, just take him out of the situation and treat this as if he never existed.

Could be that if dwg's were prepared while his license was still enforce then he may retain design copyright.
Then again it depends on what the contract between he and the client said about design ownership.

Maybe
I don't know if licensure, is the only factor in ownership. Bring in the lawyers. (clowns)