• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are accessible bathrooms required in "U" occupancy?

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
They want to build 5 R1 sleeping units in an existing building. They will look like apartments, but will only be for transients so they would have to be R1 instead of R2.
2018 IBC R1 occupancy are "Sleeping Units".
Definition of Sleeping Units:
[A] SLEEPING UNIT. A single unit that provides rooms or
spaces for one or more persons, includes permanent provisions
for sleeping and can include provisions for living, eating
and either sanitation or kitchen facilities but not both.
Such rooms and spaces that are also part of a dwelling unit
are not sleeping units.

I've been told by others on this forum that "sanitation" means a bathroom. (which seems odd to me because no dictionary calls "sanitation" a bathroom.)
The owner of the building wants kitchens in these sleeping units which means they cannot have bathrooms in them too. They are asking me if they can have bathrooms adjoining the sleeping units. I thought that since the bathrooms cannot be in sleeping units with kitchens, they cannot be part of the R1 occupancy. The closest occupancy type that I can think the bathrooms would be is a "U" occupancy. Table 508.4 would require a separation of 1 hour between R and U occupancies when sprinklered. So it looks like they could have a 3/4 hour door between the R2 occupancy sleeping unit and the U occupancy bathroom. It looks like the following section excepts U occupancies to being accessible:

1103.2.4 Utility buildings. Group U occupancies are not
required to comply with this chapter other than the following:
1. In agricultural buildings, access is required to paved
work areas and areas open to the general public.
2. Private garages or carports that contain required
accessible parking.

Would this mean the bathrooms do not need to follow Chapter 11 "Accessibility" and would not need to comply with 1107.6.1 "Group R-1" or 1109.2 "Toilet and bathing rooms" for accessibility ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What you have seems similar to a dormitory and how it functions except the users are transient by definition.
A central rest room would have to be accessible because it is an accessory use to the R occupancy use.

Not sure why they want to do that. Do they not have room for a rest room & the kitchen? Not sure why they CAN"T have restroom. Am I missing something. There are a lot of R1 with kitchen. Also same a Efficiency:confused:.

Not sure why they want to do that. Do they not have room for a rest room & the kitchen? Not sure why they CAN"T have restroom. Am I missing something. There are a lot of R1 with kitchen. Also same a Efficiency:confused:.
[A] SLEEPING UNIT. A single unit that provides rooms or
spaces for one or more persons, includes permanent provisions
for sleeping and can include provisions for living, eating
and either sanitation or kitchen facilities but not both.
Such rooms and spaces that are also part of a dwelling unit
are not sleeping units.

The bathrooms are part of the occupancy...They just can't be part of the "unit"....so glad this is getting fixed....
If there is a door and a wall between the sleeping unit with a kitchen and the bathroom does this make it part of the unit? I'm guessing the code does not want a toilet and a kitchen in the same room by the definition.