• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are floor drains req'd in restaurant kitchens

Polar

Hi everyone,

We are working on a series of restaurants, some in MA (CMR 248) and NH (I-codes 2009 model codes adopted - not sure about state ammendments in NH).

Is there a code requirement for floor drains?

The kitchens are modest sized 350 to 475 SF. They contain (1) three basin sink and (1) prep sink and spray faucet. There are several soft serve machines that are cleaned periodically.

Also there is a place to put fruit and candy over the top of your soft serve in a counter top with a cash register at the end. Does that topping/sales area require a floor drain?

We typically show (3) floor drains total, one in the topping/sales area and two in the kitchen.

But there's an owner (and his landlord:banghd) that thinks un-reasonable to trench the floor for the drains.

Thanks for your insight.

Owner and landlord don't want to install required drains? Never heard of such a thing.

PCNYS 412.4 Where required. Floor drains shall be installed in commercial kitchens, public restrooms and in boiler rooms.

Section 704.3 of the Oregon Plumbing Code requires floor drains adjacent to most sinks and dishwashers in commercial kitchen

Hi Mac, steveray and kilitact,

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, steveray, thanks you are right, grease interceptors are specified

They are required in CA

2010 CALIFORNIA PLUMBING CODE

411.2 Location of Floor Drains. Floor drains shall be installed

in the following areas:

411.2.2 Commercial kitchens ....

We dump three compartment sinks into floor sinks (with air gap) that go through the grease trap. The floor sink also serves as a floor drain. When we have floor drains in addition to the floor sinks, they also drain through the grease trap. Why wouldn't you want some type of floor drain in a commercial kitchen? They will more than likely be cutting the slab for plumbing anyway.

I'm in CA and floor drains are required.

I work closely with the environmental health department in reference to restaurants. He always tells the owner floor drains are required. I tell the owner no C of O without approval of enviro health and a final on the permit.

Sue

Hi everyone,

We are working on a series of restaurants, some in MA (CMR 248) and NH (I-codes 2009 model codes adopted - not sure about state ammendments in NH).

Is there a code requirement for floor drains?

The kitchens are modest sized 350 to 475 SF. They contain (1) three basin sink and (1) prep sink and spray faucet. There are several soft serve machines that are cleaned periodically.

Also there is a place to put fruit and candy over the top of your soft serve in a counter top with a cash register at the end. Does that topping/sales area require a floor drain?

We typically show (3) floor drains total, one in the topping/sales area and two in the kitchen.
commercial kitchen flooring
But there's an owner (and his landlord:banghd) that thinks un-reasonable to trench the floor for the drains.

Thanks for your insight.
Hey guys, landed a job doing a restaurant. Just found out that the client/GC was planning on leaving the kitchen floor as the existing polished concrete. I mentioned that I thought this was a bad idea due to sanitary/safety issues of a greasy wet super smooth floor. What do you guys think ? and what is the most economical solution for a clean/non slip kitchen floor ? We are doing porcelain in the front area so really what I am asking is can you think of anything that is going to be cheaper than that ?

# ~ #

ameliasosis,

Respectfully asking, but how is a porcelain floor any less slippery when
wet \ greasy ?.........Also, if you DO decide to use porcelain, will there be
any grouted lines in between ?

I have seen smooth concrete floors in kitchen areas before........IMO,
they seem to promote easy cleaning \ mopping.

Just sayin'...

# ~ #

And even some of the orange quarry tiles that are supposed to be slip resistant … feel slippery.