• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are the signs you sign off on listed as an assembly?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just because a sign manufacturer (often a small, local company) uses all UL listed products does not mean the sign assembly is.

UL for example has a program in place for years that allow any size sign company to self certify their products. I have always required proof that all signs, regardless of size or how big the company that made it are listed and labeled as an assembly. Although I initially got some grumbling I soon found out most companies already had the program in place.

Be careful to read chapter 6 of the NEC and make sure that during plan review you are ensuring that the signs to be installed are listed and labeled. This is not new news to the sign industry but it may be news to inspectors in your area.

I see a lot of LED signs now but still see a few box signs now and then and look for the (UL) marking and the typical toggle switch when doing the inspections. I figured the local sign companies have a stack of (UL) stickers at their disposal. I really don't think to many inspectors are on top of this unless coached by the older mentors.