• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are wireless devices that control wired power devices covered by the NEC?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The code reads:

404.1 Scope.
This article covers all switches, switching devices, and circuit breakers used as switches operating at 1000 volts and below unless specifically referenced elsewhere in this Code for higher voltages. This article does not cover wireless control equipment to which circuit conductors are not connected.

So no, remote control or wireless devices not connected to equipment that is hard wired are not covered by this code. This is specific to switches and switching devices.

Do you mean not connected at all, a wireless device, perhaps with a battery, maybe one mounted in a wall box?

Where a wireless device, such as a smart phone, is used to control a device to switch a building circuit I do not know how the building official could verify code compliance. How would the building official verify the computer program in the wireless devices. It would be a VERY rare code official that had the ability to understand the computer program code if they were able to gain access to the program instructions. Remember that your smart phone is a special purpose computer.

Where a wireless device, such as a smart phone, is used to control a device to switch a building circuit I do not know how the building official could verify code compliance. How would the building official verify the computer program in the wireless devices. It would be a VERY rare code official that had the ability to understand the computer program code if they were able to gain access to the program instructions. Remember that your smart phone is a special purpose computer.
Correct, hence NEC404.1.

It is a rather simple question based on 404.1. I even posted my answer and opinion based on the verbiage of the code.
Agree. I was not sure if you included devices where the controlled "circuit conductors are not connected" to the device, but the device is still connected to 120 volts were included, like X10 and some others (if they still exist).