• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Area Of Refuge

It appears to me that two signs are required.

One illuminated with the exit sign like the one pictured here:

16.jpg

And a tactile sign to be installed next to the tactile exit sign. The tactile signs need not to be illuminated IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Area of Refuge" sign is not requried to be illuminated. I recently saw some illuminated ones in the Phoenix airport. They were located above the door; in addition to the tactile sign that is required next to the door. It's not required but it's a great idea.

I'll be interested though in how many folks have these; or have amended their rules to requrie them.

Ahhh! You mean "Where exit sign illumination is required by Section 1011.2, the area of refuge sign shall be illuminated."

I guess I jumped to conclusions thinking you meant "internal" illumination.

The exit sign illumination section says:

1011.2 Illumination.

Exit signs shall be internally or externally illuminated.

If there is emergency egress illumination in the area of the door, then there can be external illumination of the sign.

1011.5.2 Exit sign illumination.

The face of an exit sign illuminated from an external source shall have an intensity of not less than 5 foot-candles (54 lux).

So, yes. Illumination is required - it just doesn't have to be internal.