• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

art framing retail shop

linnrg

Sawhorse
in a retail based frame shop if they have a work area for saws benches and tools that the public does not go into does it need to be treated as an accessory use and separated.

M Occupancy
2009 IBC
Type V-B non sprinklered

I would say not

Normally very small area, plus normal storage area also

'Accessory' uses don't generally require separation, that's why they're limited to 10% of the area of the story.
More than 10% and you may have to call it an F-1, Moderate Hazard use.
As steveray asked above... how big a space are we talking about? Retail (M) and the work area?

And neither one comes close to the sprinkler threshold for their particular classifications, so not a big deal.
Though I would suggest something to keep the sawdust out of the retail space...

This is more of a "risk management issue" and possibly a Title I employee accommodation (if requested).
Is any sawdust being generated/collected? Any spraying of frames?
Is customer parking located at front or rear of building? If at rear and entry through rear of building and work area you may have an issue.