• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ASC and CMS requirements

Vlab20

Bronze Member
I have a B-Business ASC. It is NON-hospital based. It is directly adjacent to a clinic(B-Business). I have a 1-hour rated wall that separates the Clinic from the ASC per NFPA 101. HOWEVER I want to use one reception desk for the ASC and the Clinic. ASC patient would walk into Clinic, check in at Common reception desk, would be directed to waiting in the ASC Waiting Room (which is a 1-hour rated room separated from Clinic waiting room). Staff gets ASC patient and walks them into the ASC area for prepping. I am looking at the CMS State Operations Manual Appendix L which is the Medicare requirements for a ASC. I can not find anything that states that I have to have a SEPARATE ASC receptionist. I am also trying to find the requirements for a ASC patient to check in...Can they walk into the Clinic and check in at a common reception desk? and then be directed to sit in the ASC waiting room with its one hour separation? This project is in Wisconsin and WI only uses the HVAC requirements of the AIA Guidelines for ASC's. NFPA 101 and IBC does not tell me this specific answer. Does anyone have any possible answers?

Thanks.