• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Assembly occupancy, plenum cable required?

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I'm doing a bar/eatery with the typical exposed mechanicals overhead. The owner asked me if plenum cable for the low-volt stuff is required as the LV contractor said its required and wants an x-tra. The space would be an NEC 300.22© application. Is there anything in the ICC codes that would state plenum cable shall be used here?

Thanks

PLENUM. An enclosed portion of the building structure, other than an occupiable space being conditioned, that is designed to allow air movement, and thereby serve as part of an air distribution system.

If the mechanicals are exposed (no ceiling) then it is not a plenum. If there are Return and Supply ducts there is no plenum

IMC

602.2.1 Materials exposed within plenums. Except as required

by Sections 602.2.1.1 through 602.2.1.5, materials

exposed within plenums shall be noncombustible or shall

have a flame spread index of not more than 25 and a

smoke-developed index of not more than 50 when tested in

accordance with ASTM E 84.

Exceptions:

1. Rigid and flexible ducts and connectors shall conform

to Section 603.

2. Duct coverings, linings, tape and connectors shall conform

to Sections 603 and 604.

3. This section shall not apply to materials exposed within

plenums in one- and two-family dwellings.

4. This section shall not apply to smoke detectors.

5. Combustible materials enclosed in approved gypsum

board assemblies or enclosed in materials listed and

labeled for such application.

602.2.1.1 Wiring. Combustible electrical or electronic

wiring methods and materials, optical fiber cable, and optical

fiber raceway exposed within a plenum shall have a

peak optical density not greater than 0.50, an average optical

density not greater than 0.15, and a flame spread not

greater than 5 feet (1524 mm) when tested in accordance

with NFPA 262. Only type OFNP (plenum rated

nonconductive optical fiber cable) shall be installed in plenum-

rated optical fiber raceways.Wiring, cable, and raceways

addressed in this section shall be listed and labeled

as plenum rated and shall be installed in accordance with

ICC Electrical Code.

mtlogcabin said:
PLENUM. An enclosed portion of the building structure, other than an occupiable space being conditioned, that is designed to allow air movement, and thereby serve as part of an air distribution system.If the mechanicals are exposed (no ceiling) then it is not a plenum. If there are Return and Supply ducts there is no plenum
Got that, should have posted 300.22©.

300.22© Other Space Used for Environmental Air. This section applies to space used for environmental air-handling purposes other than ducts and plenums as specified in 300.22(A) and (B). It does not include habitable rooms or areas of buildings, the prime purpose of which is not air handling.
So I'm currently looking around in the IBC and IFC to see if there may be something in the FBC related to fire load and toxic fumes that may apply.

And GB, this is not a plenum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would plenum grade cable be required if it is not a plenum. My understanding is you don't want toxic fumes pulled thru the ceiling if a fire should occur and it is not discovered right away. I may not be correct but I would say it is not required.

Not required as proposed. Not a plenum in that it's not concealed. Worry over pulling fumes around? look into CFM of air handlers and activation of fire alarm