• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Assisted Listening Devices + California

JPohling

Sawhorse
I have received a correction from the City of Los Angeles requesting an "assisted listening system" for a conference room that has an occupant load of 26 persons. 11B-219.2 Exception seems to eliminate this requirement if there is only a simple paging/background music system in place. No lectern with amplified speech is provided.

That is the way I read it. Anyone concur or disagree?

Mark, My question is, if your only system is for paging and background music then you are excepted from providing an assisted listening system? That is the way I read it.
We would certainly use a portable system if necessary.

It is not real clear
The DSA Manual has a chart that says if the audio system is integral to the space.

Read it again "Sam"; "shall" be provided ".", a performance requirement. The methods and means may be up to the designer/owner. (see MH example). It does not have to be built-in.
It is also and ADA requirement that is incorporated by reference in CBC.