• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

AT&T and Comcast underground feeds to new construction - South Florida

RPM001

We are building a small apartment complex consisting of 15 units split up into 3 single story buildings in Ft. Lauderdale. It's classified as commercial and not residential so all code requirements are substantially stricter.

I'm trying to find out if there is a code requirement that calls for us to run underground for AT&T telephone service and cable provider (who in this case would be Comcast/Xfinity) to each building / each unit? If so would this generally be done by the electrical contractor or by the phone / cable company? Or could this be done by future tenants directly with AT&T / Comcast if they choose to have home phone service or cable? I'm curious to learn more because the stamp/approved complete set of building plans do not mention one word about this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Any requirements to do, or not do, should be in the contract documents.

Also, check with the AHJ, they may have separate requirements, possible there is a contract with those providers that they must be installed.

Sounds like either local requirement or utility requirement

My guess has to be done at time of development, maybe by an approved contractorb