• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"attach a deck" ??? Has anybody seen this?

I have not seen this but I have seen an engineer design a similar system for use on brick veneer. It looks like it puts the bolt in a tear out situation, kind of like on brick veneer only you can probably tighten the bolts down more with this without danger of crushing like on a veneer.

I would say as long as members of the Washington State Football team did not perform, or were in anyway involved in, the testing of this product and the writing of the subsequent report...it is a winner!

When I try to open the link I get this: "Phishing" category....and can't go there

Strange. I just opened it? If your willing to give it a look google "attach a deck" should be the first hit.

It is a designed weather-proof spacer. Though decay is a concern, as a reminder current statistics report that 90% of catastrophic deck failures are due from the band or rim joist lateral separation from the structure. This is the reason for the torsion rod or alternate knee bracing called for in R502.2.2.3.

Francis

Papio Bldg Dept said:
I would say as long as members of the Washington State Football team did not perform, or were in anyway involved in, the testing of this product and the writing of the subsequent report...it is a winner!
OK, missing this reference. Are you possibly referring to the failure at the University of Washington?

Coug Dad said:
OK, missing this reference. Are you possibly referring to the failure at the University of Washington?
http://www.attachadeck.com/pdf/JeffJohnsonLedgerConnectionTestingReport.pdf

Testing report performed by Washington State University...I was simply noting that their football team has not been a pillar of success in recent years, and that if there was no connection, the product might have an improved chance of being successful.

Dr's Carradine, Bender and Woeste developed most of the information we have been getting on deck construction over the past decade or so. He's one of the people behind the guide most of us use for deck construction. Dr Bender is also at Washington State, in charge of those labs I believe. That data is coming from the same people that provided the data for the deck ledger code changes and the deck construction guide.