• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic access door through wall - fire code construction requirements?

rossn

For a residential remodel with a wall access panel between living space and attic space, what are the fire requirements for the access panel's construction. Is aluminum or steel acceptable, or is a 30-minute fire-rated assembly required? Any code references appreciated.

I've placed this in the fire code section, but if other codes apply, also interested to hear.

Background:
I have a remodel situation with the ceiling being raised, and the small remaining attic space will not require access, per IRC R807.1 (attic height along ridge < 30"). However... I would still like to maintain some access for visual inspection, and in the unlikely situation where physical access required. The maximum physical wall opening I can have have to the attic is maybe 18"h x 22" wide... very small.

Ok, thanks. I was noticing none of the fire rated assemblies had seals, and glad to hear that it does not need to be fire rated. Surprised, but glad to hear. Sounds like a steel door with seals and insulation will suffice.

Is it only locations such as the garage that would require a fire rated one?

What is garage ceiling? If 1/2" gwb on wall and 5/8" on garage ceiling with no penetrations, opening above ceiling seems fine with no rating or special fire consideration.

if the access is form the garage to the attic then the open has to maintain the rating required for the garage walls or ceiling

I have a remodel situation with the ceiling being raised, and the small remaining attic space will not require access, per IRC R807.1 (attic height along ridge < 30").
There is more to that than just a measurement at the ridge. In fact R807.1 does not mention a ridge. If there is less than 30" at the ridge as is the case with the OP it is a given that access is not required but there might be more than 30" and still not require an access. Note that the OP has a plan for an 18"x22" for visual access. He'll be able to see the rat but not able to chase it down. I suppose he could stuff a cat in there.

R807.1 Attic access. Buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction shall have an attic access opening to attic areas that have a vertical height of 30 inches or greater over an area of not less than 30 square feet. The vertical height shall be measured from the top of the ceiling framing members to the underside of the roof framing members.

The rough-framed opening shall be not less than 22 inches by 30 inches and shall be located in a hallway or other location with ready access. Where located in a wall, the opening shall be not less than 22 inches wide by 30 inches high . Where the access is located in a ceiling, minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be 30 inches at some point above the access measured vertically from the bottom of ceiling framing members. See the California Mechanical Code for access requirements where mechanical equipment is located in attics.

Last edited: