• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Attic Vent in Overhang Proximity to Window

Mule

Platinum Member
Had a builder that was builds in a different city question the location of overhang vents within six feet of a window. I've heard of this before but it was more of an estetic issue than a code related issue. I told him what I thought..but apparently he is angry about a neighbor and is trying to find any and everything that he can to get this guy in trouble.

High grass, crosses in the front yard, eave vents...you name it...I had a question about it. The only one I could see that may be an issue, as far as code goes, is the overhang vents. You guys and gals know anything about this???

& &

Mule,

Which code are you referring to?......Possibly, openings in exterior walls?

RE: Section R302 & Table R302.1 - EXTERIOR WALLS, `06 IRC.

& &

Are you just talking about typical intake soffit venting for a roof system? If so I have never heard of any restriction.....if venting out at a soffit (bath fan, etc...) you may need to block some soffit intake.......

Not a specific code. It was more of a "been in the code forever" question. One homeowner after another homeowner telling me the house was in violation because of location of overhang vents.

Mule said:
Not a specific code. It was more of a "been in the code forever" question. One homeowner after another homeowner telling me the house was in violation because of location of overhang vents.
Did you tell em you've been in the code forever?

had a structure fire where a gable end vent was located 4 feet above a 6040 window. the fire blew out the window and then the fire got sucked into the attic area thru the vent. it was the first time i had seen this type of fire and it caused more damage in the attic than inside the structure. i am not aware of any code prohibiting this set-up.

pwood said:
had a structure fire where a gable end vent was located 4 feet above a 6040 window. the fire blew out the window and then the fire got sucked into the attic area thru the vent. it was the first time i had seen this type of fire and it caused more damage in the attic than inside the structure. i am not aware of any code prohibiting this set-up.
That pretty much says it all.

We always kept eave vents away from windows. Shirley it was proposed to the ICBO. I wonder what the reason to reject it is.

And suicide vents in the garage.....why did we stop doing that?

This kinda reminds me of keeping the underfloor access out from under braced walls. I wonder if that has has been proposed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies..... I had my inspector look also. I couldn't ever remember seeing it in the codes but you guys know how that is! All of a sudden you read something and say to yourself... huh! Wonder when they put that in the code! :)

gbhammer... you got that right! The first code I was under was the Southern Standard Code! Of course the first AHJ I was working for was just a weeeee bit behind the times too!

Never has been in the code for attic ventilation - Have seen several fires including a nursing home with fatalities from a fire that started on the exterior balcony and traveled thru the attic due to unprotected vents as described.

The SBCCI had limitations for floor to floor openings (old 30" rule) but nothing about attic vents....... still the same 20 plus years later....