• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Augusta code officer was reportedly ambushed after posting “condemned” sign

Some of the cities around here travel in pairs.

Maybe code enforcement needs some police type training, take an officer with you to trouble spots, do not stand in front of the door,

Hard to imagine any type of training to mitigate this situation, apart from wearing ballistic armor to even the most routine site visits.

Reactions: ICE
Such a senseless act to take down a CE, what a great smile he displayed in the photo, had to be a great co-worker to work with.

Advise to handle code enforcement. It doesn’t matter if you inspect in the burbs or inner cities, once you complete your initial inspection or posting a notice, role out and complete notes or whatever else down the road. If you have to post the property pre fill document and have items to post, document, tape, camera, etc... readily available.

Advise to handle code enforcement. It doesn’t matter if you inspect in the burbs or inner cities, once you complete your initial inspection or posting a notice, role out and complete notes or whatever else down the road. If you have to post the property pre fill document and have items to post, document, tape, camera, etc... readily available.
When I have to take care of code enforcement I park two house past the address. If there is a porch I door knock and then get to the yard before anyone answers. Gates are left open. I stand away from doors and windows. I hustle and depart immediately. I've seen them in my rear view mirror waving the notice. If it is sketchy at all I don't stop....USPS is my friend. What's double trouble for me is that people mistake me for police a lot.

Last edited:
Our folks always work with our PD on sensitive situations...........sounds like even if he was carrying, it would not have helped. Tragic reminder of how people cna explode.