• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

auto body shop classification?

pwood

Platinum Member
what occupancy is an auto body shop with listed spray booth? were talking welding ,torches, etc... the spray booth has fire a suppression system. i am still struggling with the ibc and their classifications as it would have been an H in the ubc.

pwood said:
what occupancy is an auto body shop with listed spray booth? were talking welding ,torches, etc... the spray booth has fire a suppression system. i am still struggling with the ibc and their classifications as it would have been an H in the ubc.
pwood -

CBC Section 307.1(1) & 307.1(2) refer you over to control areas that are covered in 414.2 plus the California Fire Code.

I had a 600 sq. ft. spray booth about a dozen years ago and classed it as a H-3. FM at the time agreed.

Sue, where the west still lives!

thanks for the replies. use to be a one hour seperation was required between h-4 repair garage,s-3 auto repair garage and b or m occupancies. what happened? is this one of those dumb down safety deals?

Is the fire protection required or just provided?

We do repeat business with a local car dealership who informed us that if the spray gun container is less than a certain size, there are less restrictions they have to worry about. Unfortunately, I don't know which codes he was talking about. Sorry I don't have more info.