• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Automatic faucets and loss of power

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If a group of automatic faucets looses power due to tripped breaker, low voltage transformer going bad, etc. the occupants have no way to wash their hands in a commercial setting such as an A-3, B, etc.

Anyway I cannot find anything that would require at least 1 manual faucet in a bathroom.

This subject recently came up with an electrician who was called in because of a problem like this.

Thoughts:

Re: Automatic faucets and loss of power

There is nothing in the code that requires a manual faucet or a battery backup.

How often do you have power outages?

Is the building habital, without power?

Re: Automatic faucets and loss of power

No code requirement. Just as there is no code requirement for an alternate means to supply water in a building with a booster pump or well pump.

This is one of the reasons I prefer the battery units - they all don't fail at the same time, and never have power so aren't missing anything during a power loss. There are other pros and cons regarding battery vs hardwired IR faucets, and I usually side with the battery options, even in new construction. The only real downside is battery disposal, but life expectancy of batteries in that application is several years.