• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Automotive Accessories Warehouse

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

I have a new warehouse that will be constructed as an addition to an existing warehouse,

and the RDP's are in the design phase. Approx. 20,000 sq. ft, fully sprinkled bldg.

The warehouse will contain automotive accessories (i.e.- plastics, batteries, bumpers,

palletized containers, cloth products, etcetera, etcetera).

The new warehouse will have a variety of materials, parts & components stored in it.

QUESTION # 1: In looking at the S-1 & S-2 Occupancy Groups, where do plastics

fall in to these Occupancy Groups?

QUESTION # 2: Would plastics be classified as a hazardous material depending upon

quantity & type?

QUESTION # 3: Any recommendations on how to assign Occupancy Group

designation for these type warehouses?

Thanks for any input! :)

#1 Plastics are S-1 #2 Plastics that exceed the allowable quantities fall into an H occupancy #3 Have the designer/owner provide the types and quantities of materials that will be stored MSDS sheet should be supplied also. Simple way is tell them to higher a fire protection engineer especially if you will have high piled and or rack storage. They will probably need one for the sprinkler system.

fatboy (and others),

In looking at the S-1 & S-2 Occ. Group designations, and trying to accurately

assign the Occ. Groups associated with this project, because of the various

types of materials & components to be stored, I am thinking a minimum of

S-1 AND S-2.

"mtlogcabin",

Response # 2 - That's what I was thinking also. The RDP's are meeting

this morning to discuss.

Thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with everyone. S-2 looks more at what material is packaged in or non combustibles

High piled more then likely with your warehouse, hire fpe since the stuff can move around over the years

Design for worse case, unless they split it up somehow

S-1 definately. Sprinkler design will need to be for Group A expanded plastics likely an ESFR or specialty heads design

For a building to be S-2 the storage and the packaging needs to be noncombustible with a minimum amount of dunnage. In a S-2 warehouse you should be able to pour 5 gallons of accellerant on the storage, ignite it, and when the accellerant burns off the fire should go out and not spread through the storage.

Much thanks to you all for the input!

Trying to research through the planned plastics amounts and Table 2303.7.4, 2006

Edition of the IFC, and when amounts (of plastics) go from a Class I, II, II in to a

Class IV and then in to a High Hazard commodity.

It's not the amount of plastics. It's if the plastics come into play. If you have Group A plastics, that drives the level of sprinkler protection, which is generally much greater sprinkler protection than Class I-IV commodities, especially is they are Group A expanded or unexpanded plastics.

Based on the number of commodity surveys and reports I have prepared in these occupancies, you have Group A plastics.

And someone said ESFR sprinklers are required. That's wrong. Be careful when specifying ESFR sprinklers as the catch-all of fire sprinkler design.

Frank said:
S-1 definately. Sprinkler design will need to be for Group A expanded plastics likely an ESFR or specialty heads designFor a building to be S-2 the storage and the packaging needs to be noncombustible with a minimum amount of dunnage. In a S-2 warehouse you should be able to pour 5 gallons of accellerant on the storage, ignite it, and when the accellerant burns off the fire should go out and not spread through the storage.
What's the basis for your second sentence? The act of arson is not a basis for design.

Globe

Forgot if you are a designer ahj or other

One question normally plastic is not treated as a hazardous material

And if ahj you can request a technical paper on proper storage, and fire protection system design

Sometimes when you mix plastic in storage it brings up the commodity classification of that area

cda,

I am AHJ, assisting the Fire Dept. in their request for information, design & other

on this project. I'm not proficient / familiar with the fire protection side of the

I-codes. Not sure what information was requested on the plastics, as I was not

present or privy to "the meeting-of-the-minds". I DO know that a competent fire

sprinkler company representative WAS present at the meeting.

Sounds like FD should think very hard about requiring a technical report from a FPE!!!!

It is just not all about the sprinkler there are a few other things in the high piled chapter