• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Automotive battery storage

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
Would a 10,000 s.f. distribution center / retail outlet for automotive batteries be classified as a straight-forward S-1 (/B or M), or an H-4 (due to the volume of corrosives)? Are there any unique occupancy requirements for this type of operation? I appreciate any and all replies!

Re: Automotive battery storage

The base is 500 gallons of electrolyte per control area or 1,000 gallons if sprinklered.

This can be increased to 975 gallons per control area or 1,950 if sprinklered and storage is in accordance with Fire Code Section 2703.11.

No limit if batteries are shipped dry.

There may be another exception for sealed batteries, but I am not finding it off the top of my head.

Chapter 23 IFC???

what are the casings made out of??? Plastic problem???

Per NFPA 13 regarding commodity classification:

Batteries

Automobile — filled Class I, (see b below)

Truck or larger — empty or filled Group A plastics

b Most batteries have a polypropylene case and, if stored empty, should be

treated as a GroupAplastic. Truck batteries, even where filled, should be

considered a Group A plastic because of their thicker walls.