• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B Occupancy existing building

RJJ

Co-Founder
I have an existing building being changed to be an orthopaedic center. Previous use similar. The building is going to have better then 50% renovation. Most all ADA issues are being meet. Problem I see is not enough Bath rooms. DP has shown 1 existing bath not ada and one Unisex bath that meets the requirements. Building is 2900 sf. The major improvement is the construction of an MRI unit, dressing rooms, and sinks for exam rooms.

My feeling is both bath rooms need to meet ada M/W first. Then a unisex bath room. Your thoughts?

RJJ,

Are you applying the IEBC or the IBC? ...year?

From the 2006 IBC, Existing Structures, Section 3409.9.4 - Toilet and bathing facilities.

"Where toilet rooms are provided, at least one accessible toilet room complying with

Section 1109.2.1 shall be provided."

My thought is that if they are spending money on an MRI, every accessibility upgrade you can imagine represents a small fraction of the project budget.

Agree brudger!

Northstar: they have 1 full ada bath room and one that is non compliant. Code would be 2009 chapter 34 or IEBC.

They have the space.

They have provide only 1 water cooler. No detail for it either. My thought is this should comply with everything. The renovations are 50% of the building area.

IF they have the space, require the 2 M/W fully accessible restrooms. You can only get 5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket.

Probably better to have a revenue producing business than a vacant space.

peach said:
IF they have the space, require the 2 M/W fully accessible restrooms. You can only get 5 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket.Probably better to have a revenue producing business than a vacant space.
Every building isn't suitable for every business.

BTW, an extra large hot tub isn't justification for leaving out a second stairwell, either.