• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B Occupancy in a camp trailer

Flexo

We have a company that is attempting to force our City to allow a converted camp trailer to be treated as a commercial building. The proposed occupancy is B, a beauty salon.
Our Attorney pointed out that use of converted camp trailers is not permitted in our zoning code unless it is a mobile kitchen. Mobile food vendors do not have customers inside of the unit. Items that are not specifically permitted by our zoning code are not permitted uses.
Does anyone here have any experience with this issue or anything like it?

I have seen many examples but never dealt with them. The ones that come to mind are:
mobile libraries
mobile blood draw

Our local fire department has a demonstration trailer where kids go in to learn about smoke detectors, egress windows, that sort of thing. So in effect it is a mobile classroom. They have not used it for some time but it is ready to go.

Also there have been other demonstration trailers like the Cold Climate people had which are also mobile classrooms.

These are rolling vehicles and not really a building code type thing.

If the hair salon is intended to be permanently parked and occupied as this commercial business then I would say it would have to have everything a small commercial building would have.

Where do they want to put it?

Permanent type foundation??

Does your city have a masonary or similar finish requirement ??

How about water and sewer hook up??

Unless it is a temp use, construction/sales trailer, if it is not on a permanent foundation, or in a zoned mobile home park, we don't touch it.

Depending on what your zoning says, this may be best left between the lawyers to figure out.

We've got a couple office trailers in town that are used for office purposes. They had stamped plans, are permanently fastened to the ground via our State manufactured home standards or an approved architectural design, and are compliant with all ADA, State plumbing, etc.codes/regulations. I think both of them wish now that they'd rented or built something, because the trailers didn't save them much money when it was all said and done..

This proposed beauty salon is in a converted airstream camp trailer. The proposed location is in a trailer park that rents trailers for short term occupancy. The zoning is C-1 which would permit beauty salons. The mobile unit would be parked here for an undetermined amount of time. The State Cosmetology Board permits mobile units. Our City has determined that in this location, the immobilized mobile unit would meet Zoning requirement but having customers in a converted camp trailer could be potentially hazardous without accessibility and the other requirements that a site built would need to meet. The current toilet room has a RV toilet in a micro closet/ rest room, the entry door is the original narrow trailer door, the wiring has been replaced.

If it is a "conversion" to the IBC it would have to meet all of the requirements "as new" Accessibility, energy, structural and so on.....I would require an engineer for the structure and tie downs for wind...How do you protect the plumbing from freezing and/or breakage from the "building" heaving?

I would ignore it. It is not a building and will never be able to meet the codes. A letter in the file that a permit can not be issued for a recreational vehicle to be converted to a commercial use .

Construction trailers here are required to provide disabled access as well as fully accessible restrooms. I do not see much difference.
I would say these features would need to be provided. Even if they are not required too they will be seriously exposed to ADA lawsuits

AZ you say? What of insulation and steps to enter? Wind load?
Too may TV ads showing "old" trailers used as all sorts of business applications doesn't make them legal.