• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

B or M occupancy

VERMA071

Hello there,
I am working on a small project. Its a 1000sf space in a strip mall. The space originally was used for selling carpet and tiles. My client signed a lease and would like to open a clothing Boutique. The clothes will be on display stands like any other big stores (Macy's). It has a small bathroom and a small office. My question is:

Would you consider a small clothing boutique (1000sf) where clothes are displayed for sale a Business occupancy or Mercantile occupancy and what would be occupant load?

Is it required to have a restroom for the customers as per code? If yes, then non accessible or accessible?

Do I need sprinklers considering this is a clothing store?
I will really appreciate any feedback.
Thx,

It doesn’t appear you need to calculate occupant load for the toilet count in this situation. New Jersey plumbing code says in mercantile occupancies with less than 1500 square occupiable by customers one toilet room satisfies the requirements.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 2
Agree with those posts prior.

Group M
OLF of 60 gross (300 gross for back of house storage)
1 restroom, accessible should do
Fire sprinklers require more information for determination

Would you consider a small clothing boutique (1000sf) where clothes are displayed for sale a Business occupancy or Mercantile occupancy and what would be occupant load?
Usually an assembly occupancy (A) gets a pass by getting a (B) Business Occupancy if the OL is <50 (303.1.1). I would think it would be an M-Occupancy as classicT has posted.

Fire sprinklers most likely would be for the whole building based on SF or required due to a more hazardous adjacent occupancy.

Is it required to have a restroom for the customers as per code? If yes, then non accessible or accessible?
Accessible, wouldn't want to discriminate, I'd make it meet ADA.

Doesn't answer your question, but it's related. I was just looking at a B occupancy that is small and on a second story. The new tenant wants to do an art gallery which to me sounded like an M occupancy. Table 504.4 allows a B occupancy but not an M without sprinklers. Small assembly spaces, 50 or less, can be classified as B, so I hope they go that route because sprinklers aren't cheap.

When was the building in the OP constructed? I don't see where a change in tenants would trigger sprinklers or making the bathroom accessible if they weren't required when it was built.

Based on the answers, I think I should be ok with non-accessible restroom and M occupancy. I really appreciate your response.
Thx,

Almost all bathrooms have to be accessible...Especially when there is only one....

1110.2 Toilet and Bathing Facilities

Each toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible. Where a floor level is not required to be connected by an accessible route, the only toilet rooms or bathing rooms provided within the facility shall not be located on the inaccessible floor. Except as provided for in Sections 1110.2.4 and 1110.2.5, at least one of each type of fixture, element, control or dispenser in each accessible toilet room and bathing room shall be accessible.

If you have accessible common area bathrooms in the mall within 300 feet of the suite you could use those bathrooms. If not you need an accessible restroom

If you have accessible common area bathrooms in the mall within 300 feet of the suite you could use those bathrooms. If not you need an accessible restroom
I don't believe this is a mall in the sense that you are referring to here. The OP indicated a strip mall.

Not sure why the OP replied that they would be ok moving forward with a non-accessible bathroom, as all have indicated otherwise.

A fully accessible restroom would be required if it were a new building. This sounds like a minor renovation, so the most they might be required to do is spend 20% on upgrading accessibility.