• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Backflow Preventer Mounting Height

Mech

2018 IPC

Is there a maximum mounting height for a backflow preventer? I have seen one listed in the National Standard Plumbing Code, but not the IPC.

Thank you.

minimum height requirement for mounting
There used to be a requirement for a backflow preventer that protects potable water from an irrigation system. The device had to be located a minimum 6” above the highest irrigation head.

% ~ % ~ %

Mech, ...there is no mounting height requirements
listed in the IPC........That said,
VERY CAREFUL consideration
should be given for the actual locations, because the people
coming back later to check, test, repair or replace a BFP
should, IMO, ...have adequate access and working space
around the devices........I have seen way too many BFP's
installed with no consideration for the maintenance,
repair or replacement of them ( e.g. - installed too high,
too close to a wall or other obstruction, too low, and on and
on ).

% ~ % ~ %

Thanks everyone.

I have been following ASSE guidelines for minimum side clearances - 1 ft on three sides, 2 ft on a fourth side for sizes 3" and smaller and then doubling the clearances on 4" backflow preventers. Mounting height has always been around 3 ft to centerline. It has only been on the last two or three projects where floor space is at a premium and they are wanting me to use vertical space.