• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Balcony(s) fire rating in a Podium Building

khsmith55

Bronze Member
2018 IBC. Four Story Type V-A Apartment building on top of a two Story Type I-A Podium. First Story enclosed parking, second Story residential. Trying to determine fire ratings for second and third Story balconies. Second Story balconies, floor construction is required to be two-hour rated as per Table 601, so I assume the balconies have to be two-hour fire rated construction. Third Story balconies, floor construction is required to be three-hour rated as per Section 510.2 (“Podium cap”) so I assume the balconies have to be three-hour fire rated construction. Am I correct in my interpretations? Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Ken