• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Banner pop-up ad

Min&Max

Silver Member
I have been contacted by several people that I recommended this board to that are more than a little frustrated. It seems they had not visited this site for awhile and now the banner ad is blocking the log in area. Really!? We all understand the need for the advertising but this is crazy. We want new members but then chase them away with poor or no planning. No one comlplaining about the add itself, just the dim-witted blocking of the log-in info. Need to either relocate the ad or the log-in space.

If they adjust the screen size, in the loewer left corner of Microsoft exploier to 100 percent, sign in then enlarge the screen back to whatever setting they want

I looked at it on a desk top and iPhone, yes it crowds it,

But able to log on with no problem

I noticed that too. My office upgraded me to WIN7 and it is a problem. My solution was to reply to a post and it would prompt me to sign in.

I would think it would be an easy fix to move the banner ads away from the site log in though.

Thanks.

"I have been contacted by several people that I recommended this board to that are more than a little frustrated. It seems they had not visited this site for awhile and now the banner ad is blocking the log in area. Really!? We all understand the need for the advertising but this is crazy. We want new members but then chase them away with poor or no planning. No one comlplaining about the add itself, just the dim-witted blocking of the log-in info. Need to either relocate the ad or the log-in space."

A bit harsh, considering how this forum came to be. If you have a comment, you can make it without the extra bull. A simple request to look into it would have sufficed.

Got it.

Also, if you shrink it width wise, it compresses and the login shows up above the banner.

Thanks Mark.

fatboy said:
A bit harsh, considering how this forum came to be. If you have a comment, you can make it without the extra bull. A simple request to look into it would have sufficed.
Awwwww come on Fatboy, can't we all be allowed to fly off the handle once in a while and over react??? :)

fatboy said:
A bit harsh aren't you fatboy. And how about that "considering how this forum came to be" mantra. It was tossed together in an afternoon and it looks it. The problem was brought to your attention a few weeks ago but suggestions go nowhere.

At work, I can't see the log on window unless I reduce the screen size to 50%. Then I can log on and set it back to 100%. So it is in fact f*cked up. Had I not stumbled across a thread about the problem, I might have never figured it out. My guess is that more than one person has given up on this forum because they can't log in.

Apparently, at home, Apple is immune....... or maybe it's Firefox.

You know fatboy, plenty of "harsh" gets by around here without a complaint from you unless it is directed at you or the forum. Min&Max deserves an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you go start your own forum ICE? Then you can manage it exactly how you see fit.

Until then, I think Jeff is doing a great job, I have no complaints. I logged out and tried to come back in, and yes, the login was blocked, I clicked on the corner of it, got a message that I had used 1 attempt of 5, then I scrolled down and logged in below. No problem. Granted, might be challenging for a first time member. I don't think that Jeff ever claimed to be the ultimate web guru, hence my comment that a suggestion, rather that coming out barrels blazing, might be appropriate. JMHO

And I am done on this thread, I said what I had on my mind, as others did. To each his own.

images
Say Ohmmmmm

I think everyone has made their points known. Let's move on shall we? Fatboy.... Or others. Can we make sure this suggestion gets passed on to Jeff? that's about all we can do.

Oh gee, I just saw this. Glad I logged on today (without any trouble). I use Safari and Firefox and don't see this problem but I will certainly see what I can do about it. This means I will have to contact the IT company that helps me because I don't know how to customize and move graphics. I will be happy to spend some more money to fix this problem. Sorry for any inconvenience. We will be working on a fix soon.

OK,

The problem is fixed. Please let me know if you find any other problems.

As a helpful hint:

1) I moved this to the correct forum so it gets found easier by me. Please remember when posting, try to find an appropriate area.

2) For problems like this, just PM me so I can have them looked into and corrected.

I hope our service was quick enough. I think it was fixed in less than 24 hours from the time I was made aware.

Thanks Jeff. Thought I had been sentenced to lurking forevermore. Not a computer geek so the fixes mentioned above were of little value. Thanks again to you and Min&Max for pushing this to the attention of all.

First, apologies to Jeff. This board is great and much appreciated. It was my thought, and I should probably stop doing that since it always gets me in trouble, that this was the work of some IT guy that should know better. The problem had previously been identified by several and I thought that Jeff could use the comment I made to prod some computer geek to fix his screw-up. Again, great board and very appreciative of Jeffs' efforts.